Random.
A few things that are entirely unrelated:
I was talking to Kate earlier today about how much I miss Montreal, and she said, "If it makes you miss it less, it's snowing here." Of course that made me miss it even more. Then a few minutes ago, I read Rhiannon's post about the snow, and it made me miss winter desperately. A notoriously brutal Montreal winter, no less. I know I'd be complaining about all the shovelling and the treacherous ice and the frizziness of my hair if I were *in* the city, but right now, thinking about snow fall seems really romantic and distant and clean.
For the second time today, I heard an intimation that people in office have a problem with the way I dress. Granted, it's just one or two people, but I find it really frustrating because I don't think I dress inappropriately at all. I've never worn anything above the knee; I've never worn anything sleeveless that wasn't a salwar kameez and hence covered by a dupatta, and moreover, we don't have a dress code. When I confronted _________ about it, she said, "Well, you wear a lot of skirts. We're not used to seeing women in skirts." I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that seeing how we're in Bombay, and dude, all the women here wear skirts. She also said my "intentions" could be miscontrued. The irony of it all is that I work in an office that deals with issues of sexual violence. We're constantly talking about how women should be allowed to wear whatever they want without having to feel guilty. I had a long talk about it with M and she said that I ought to just ignore the naysayers. Which is precisely what I have been doing. I can't deny that I do feel uncomfortable around certain people now, though. Sigh.
Mama and Daddy are coming tomorrow! I cannot wait. I can't remember the last time the three of us were together in Bombay. Probably when I was around 15? Also Dad's shoot got cancelled, but he's coming anyway. This means he's going to be AROUND all the time which has happened....oh, wait. NEVER BEFORE! They're coming specially to be with me for my birthday which is so ridiculously sweet, it makes me want to bawl with happiness.
I was talking to Kate earlier today about how much I miss Montreal, and she said, "If it makes you miss it less, it's snowing here." Of course that made me miss it even more. Then a few minutes ago, I read Rhiannon's post about the snow, and it made me miss winter desperately. A notoriously brutal Montreal winter, no less. I know I'd be complaining about all the shovelling and the treacherous ice and the frizziness of my hair if I were *in* the city, but right now, thinking about snow fall seems really romantic and distant and clean.
For the second time today, I heard an intimation that people in office have a problem with the way I dress. Granted, it's just one or two people, but I find it really frustrating because I don't think I dress inappropriately at all. I've never worn anything above the knee; I've never worn anything sleeveless that wasn't a salwar kameez and hence covered by a dupatta, and moreover, we don't have a dress code. When I confronted _________ about it, she said, "Well, you wear a lot of skirts. We're not used to seeing women in skirts." I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that seeing how we're in Bombay, and dude, all the women here wear skirts. She also said my "intentions" could be miscontrued. The irony of it all is that I work in an office that deals with issues of sexual violence. We're constantly talking about how women should be allowed to wear whatever they want without having to feel guilty. I had a long talk about it with M and she said that I ought to just ignore the naysayers. Which is precisely what I have been doing. I can't deny that I do feel uncomfortable around certain people now, though. Sigh.
Mama and Daddy are coming tomorrow! I cannot wait. I can't remember the last time the three of us were together in Bombay. Probably when I was around 15? Also Dad's shoot got cancelled, but he's coming anyway. This means he's going to be AROUND all the time which has happened....oh, wait. NEVER BEFORE! They're coming specially to be with me for my birthday which is so ridiculously sweet, it makes me want to bawl with happiness.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home