Stop me if you think you've heard this one before.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Beatles make the world go round.

So against my better judgement, I've undertaken the mammoth task of compiling a 2-CD "Best Of" Beatles compilation for a friend. Rubber Soul is going to act as the divider - Okay, I know the eternal "Rubber Soul should be slotted with their later work!" argument, but let's just say I'm using 1965 as the mid-way point. Of course while transferring the files to my computer, I realised that I had all my Beatles CDs with me but Rubber Soul and Please Please Me. I love Please Please Me, but I'm not too torn up about not having it with me since I have "Twist and Shout" on mp3. Not having Rubber Soul, on the other hand, is proving to be absolutely crippling. I will find some way to put "Norwegian Wood" and "Nowhere Man" on there. Fuck. I also really want to have "I'm Looking Through You" on there. So many wonderful songs, what to do...?

I'm posting my list so far for CD 1: All comments, suggestions with track selection and track sequencing are welcome. These are roughly in order, but I'd really like some advice on what the opening track should be. I'm thinking "Norwegian Wood" or "It Won't Be Long." I know "I'll be Back" is definitely last. Until I know what my opening track is, though,I can't really have a concrete sequencing.

Also, just for clarification - I don't want to make a "Best of" as much as put songs on there that are my personal favourites for reasons varying from aesthetic merit to associated memories to what I think my friend will like. That said, can you guys spot any glaring omissions?

Come on, I need help with this decidedly Herculean task! And yes, I am a geek. Shut up.


It Won't Be Long (With the Beatles)
What You're Doing (Beatles for Sale)
I'm A Loser (Beatles for Sale)
I'll Cry Instead (A Hard Day's Night)
Eight Days a Week (Beatles for Sale)
We Can Work It Out (Single)
The Night Before (Help!)
Tell Me Why (A Hard Day's Night)
If I Fell (A Hard Day's Night)
I've Just Seen A Face (Help!)
I Don't Want to Spoil The Party (Beatles for Sale)
Things We Said Today (A Hard Day's Night)
Nowhere Man (Rubber Soul)
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away (Help!)
Norwegian Wood (Rubber Soul)
Twist and Shout (Please Please Me)
I'll Be Back (A Hard Day's Night)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home