Stop me if you think you've heard this one before.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Overdue letter to SACOMSS.

Dear Outreachers (and other super awesome SACOMSS people),


I've been meaning to write this e-mail for a while now, but just haven't had the time to do so. Now that I'm down with the flu with little else to do (hey, that rhymes!), I thought it would be the perfect time to show my gratitude to possibly the coolest group of people I've ever had the fortune to meet.



As a lot of you know, I'd scored an internship with a human rights organization in Bombay. As if that wasn't good enough, three weeks into the internship, they offered me a job. Needless to say, I was ecstatic about making some money, and endlessly flattered as well. Just a month after this exciting development, I've been promoted to being the co-ordinator of the unit. Pretty fucking cool, but equally fucking scary. Why am I telling you all of this? Apart from being baldly modest, I realised that if it weren't for my amazing experience at SACOMSS, none of this would've happened.


I cannot emphasize enough how much my time with SACOMSS - the trainings, the conversations with people, the actual Outreaches, the meetings, the parties - has helped me grow as a person. I'm involved with India's biggest human rights organization, and I can say in all honesty that SACOMSS - a student-run Sexual Assault Center - is as efficient - if not more so - as any Women's Rights organization in the "real world."


I'm beginning to sound like an infomercial now.


Honestly, though, my already-profound love and respect for all things SACOMSS has increased greatly in my time away from it. At the risk of sounding shamefully cheesy, I've learnt so much from each one of you, and it is with staggering admiration that I realized that despite being student-run, relatively penurious, manacled by a shitty administration, SACOMSS is doing veritably life-changing work - And it's not only our clients whose lives we're affecting positively, it's also the lives of our dedicated, intelligent, profoundly humane volunteers.


I know training is about to start soon, and I wanted to tell you all to give yourselves a huge pat on the back for jobs excellently done. I know the 2 weeks of training are going to seem like the longest of your life - there will often be moans of laziness, tears of frustration, sighs of bewilderment, but there will also be feelings of boundless, overwhelming, incomparable accomplishment. And that makes all the difference.


Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You are all amazing.


Love,


Aurina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home