Why we're put in this mess is anybody's guess...
I didn't make it to work today. Again. I spent all of last night coughing, clutching my helpless stomach as if to apologise for this unprecedented exertion.
I gargled with warm salt water. I made honey lemon concoctions. I screwed up my nose, and took 2 teaspoons of Corex cough syrup. Nothing helped. In between gasping for air, I managed to apologise to Delphine, staring sleepily at me, running her arm across my back. Her face had an expression of equal parts concern, irritation and amusement.
She, like me, didn't sleep much. She didn't make it to work either.
We spent all day languishing in the living room, darkened by the relentless monsoons. I complained of a severe body ache and light-headedness; Delphine complained of an aching throat and headache. We decided to vanquish the nefarious virus by watching movies all day. We raided my meagre collection, and took out a few that Delphine hadn't watched before, and that I hadn't seen in a while
First, we watched "Citizen Kane." As always, I was blown away by the perfection of the film. I know people are sick of hearing about its legendary genius, but it's kind of like The Beatles of film - the hype is totally valid. At the risk of sounding like the total geek I am, the mise-en-scene and cinematography of the film is staggering. Really, everything about the film - acting, lighting, script, editing, music, and of course, the direction - is staggering. Besides, it's kind of sadistically cool to see Orson Welles foreshadowing his own hefty future, revelling in the laurels of the past.
Then we inaugurated my copy of "I Heart Huckabees." I hadn't seen it since I watched it in the theatres - Steph, if you're reading this, remember when Alex and I bumped into you in the Leacock Computer Labs and convinced you to go with us? What a great night; what a fabulous, fabulous movie. I love how it takes a subject that has oceanic potential of being (terribly) pretentious, but treats it instead with wit, intelligence and wonderfully absurd humour. Turns out it was just what the doctor ordered too. By the end of the film, we both had broad grins on our face as we hummed along to the brilliant (!!!) Jon Brion score.
Now we're fixing to watch A Clockwork Orange, but I have a feeling I'll probably fall asleep halfway through. I kind of hope I do because I need the sleep - I cannot afford to miss another day of work.
I gargled with warm salt water. I made honey lemon concoctions. I screwed up my nose, and took 2 teaspoons of Corex cough syrup. Nothing helped. In between gasping for air, I managed to apologise to Delphine, staring sleepily at me, running her arm across my back. Her face had an expression of equal parts concern, irritation and amusement.
She, like me, didn't sleep much. She didn't make it to work either.
We spent all day languishing in the living room, darkened by the relentless monsoons. I complained of a severe body ache and light-headedness; Delphine complained of an aching throat and headache. We decided to vanquish the nefarious virus by watching movies all day. We raided my meagre collection, and took out a few that Delphine hadn't watched before, and that I hadn't seen in a while
First, we watched "Citizen Kane." As always, I was blown away by the perfection of the film. I know people are sick of hearing about its legendary genius, but it's kind of like The Beatles of film - the hype is totally valid. At the risk of sounding like the total geek I am, the mise-en-scene and cinematography of the film is staggering. Really, everything about the film - acting, lighting, script, editing, music, and of course, the direction - is staggering. Besides, it's kind of sadistically cool to see Orson Welles foreshadowing his own hefty future, revelling in the laurels of the past.
Then we inaugurated my copy of "I Heart Huckabees." I hadn't seen it since I watched it in the theatres - Steph, if you're reading this, remember when Alex and I bumped into you in the Leacock Computer Labs and convinced you to go with us? What a great night; what a fabulous, fabulous movie. I love how it takes a subject that has oceanic potential of being (terribly) pretentious, but treats it instead with wit, intelligence and wonderfully absurd humour. Turns out it was just what the doctor ordered too. By the end of the film, we both had broad grins on our face as we hummed along to the brilliant (!!!) Jon Brion score.
Now we're fixing to watch A Clockwork Orange, but I have a feeling I'll probably fall asleep halfway through. I kind of hope I do because I need the sleep - I cannot afford to miss another day of work.

1 Comments:
At 3:53 PM,
dancing chaos said…
1. I wish I had cowritten that letter to SACOMSS with you. cause the same thoughts linger in my mind
2. please be well dear! the apartment had a trick last year, but it was probably more eficient in stopping anyone form approaching YOU and letting them catch the cold: boil water with pieces of ginger, lemon, garlic and cayenne pepper. it does wonders for the throat. conversely, lemon, ginger and honey work nicely... and stink a little less.
love, steph
Post a Comment
<< Home